Call for bids: 18th EAJS International Conference 2026
The European Association for Japanese Studies (EAJS) invites bids to host the 18th International Conference of EAJS to be held in 2026. EAJS conferences take place every three years and are usually attended by more than 900 scholars from Europe, Japan, the United States, and other countries. The previous in-person conference in Lisbon in 2017 was attended by 1200 participants, with 710 papers given during the conference. Bids are geographically limited to Europe (not just the EU). The local organization of the conference must be managed by an institution of Japanese Studies in the country the conference is to be held. Previous EAJS Conferences have taken place in Zurich (1976), Florence (1979), The Hague (1982), Paris (1985), Durham (1988), Berlin (1991), Copenhagen (1994), Budapest (1997), Lahti (2000), Warsaw (2003), Vienna (2005), Lecce (2008), Tallinn (2011), Ljubljana (2014), Lisbon (2017) and from Ghent online (2021). The next conference will be held in Ghent, Belgium from 17-20 August 2023.
The EAJS Council will select the next conference site based on the following set of guidelines:
- the likely costs to the participants in terms of participation fee and hotel charges;
- the levels of commitment and expertise underlying the proposal, particularly relating to the financial management;
- the appeal of the proposed location as an interesting place to visit;
- the possibility of raising funds locally;
- the need to ensure that EAJS holds its conferences all over Europe, not just in a few selected countries;
- ease of communication and transport;
- the presence of Japanese Studies in the country.
Please send your bid, including a statement addressing the aspects mentioned above, a budget estimate and possible funding sources to:
Office of the European Association for Japanese Studies (EAJS)
c/o Freie Universität Berlin
Please contact us at office[at]eajs.eu if you would like to receive more detailed information on submitting a bid to host the next EAJS conference.
Please take note that the EAJS Council will expect you to present your proposal at the 17th International Conference to be held in Ghent, Belgium, 17-20 August 2023.
The deadline for submission of bids is 30 June 2023.
We are looking forward to receiving your bid proposals!